2020 Student Design Showcase
Tuesday, April 7, 5:30-7:30pm
University Hall, McNamara Alumni Center
You are invited to participate in the 9th Annual Design of Medical Devices Conference Student Design Showcase. The showcase promotes and publicizes excellence in medical device design by teams of undergraduate and graduate students conducted as part of their course work. Outstanding student designs will be selected for presentation at the showcase held during the Design of Medical Devices Conference in Minneapolis, April 6-9, 2020.
- Design was done by an undergraduate or graduate student design team
- Design was done as a project in a regular course
- Design was not a graduate or undergraduate research project or thesis project
- Design is a medical device
Tentative Submission Timeline:
- Submissions Tool is CLOSED
- January 30, 2020: Submissions are due at midnight submitters' time
- week of February 13, 2020: Reviews completed and author notifications made
Author Instructions & Submission Process:
- A document that describes the design.
- You are free to format the document in the style you think is best for an engineering reader to understand your design. Entry must have:
- Cover page with title (80 character limit), name of each student designer, university, department, course name and course number and contact information for the corresponding author (email and telephone). Please avoid clever titles and instead chose a title that best describes your design.
- Two to three pages with three sections:
Section 1- A description of the problem you are trying to solve, including describing current or competing solutions
Section 2- A description of your design, including a rendering that best describes the concept
Section 3- An evaluation, including results of testing, that demonstrates your design does or could work to its intended purpose. As appropriate, include a high-quality image of your prototype
- All content, including figures, charts and reference list must be contained in the three page limit.
- For readability, margins must be at least one inch all around and body text must be no smaller than 11 point.
- Submission document must be a single PDF file.
- A student author should serve as the lead contact.
The submitted document is confidential and will only be seen by conference reviewers. Public disclosure of your design does not occur until the conference showcase event and that is limited to whatever you choose to include on your poster.
Showcase Poster Presentation
• Accepted papers will be presented in the 2020 Student Design Showcase on
Tuesday, April 7 from 5:30pm-7:30pm in University Hall, McNamara Alumni Center.
• Set-up time is on Tuesday, April 7 from 4:00pm-5:15pm.
• One or more student authors must be present at the poster during the entire poster session.
(Advisors should refrain from interjecting during presentations)
• Dress code is business attire.
• The allotted tackable poster space is 91" wide x 45" tall. Push pins will be provided.
• There will be a small round table for displays or prototypes next to your poster board.
• There will not be AC power next to your board.
• Please follow good design principles in preparing your poster. Click here for helpful tips.
• Your poster may have different content than what you included in your submission paper so long as your poster describes the same medical device that you described in your submission paper.
• Please see the conference staff at the registration desk on the 2nd Floor of Graduate Minneapolis if you wish to store your poster during the conference. *NOTE* pre-shipment of posters is NOT available.
• Professional judges will review entry documents and the presentation by the students at the showcase to determine prize winners.
• Three cash prizes: $500, $300, $200. At least one member of the student design team must be present at the Design Showcase at all times to be considered for a prize.
Each student author attending the conference will receive one complimentary full three day registration, including all three lunches (Innovation Workshop and 5.10k not included). All presenters of accepted papers are required to register for the conference by March 27, 2020. The lead author will receive instructions for how to complete their registration via email after reviews are complete.
Certificate of Presentation
If you require a Certificate of Presentation, e-mail Conference Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject heading "Showcase Presentation Certificate Request" AFTER April 20, 2020.
Direct your questions to:
|Professor William Durfee, Showcase Chair
University of Minnesota