International Student Design Showcase - OPEN!
Tuesday, April 14, 5:30-7:30pm
Heritage Gallery, McNamara Alumni Center
You are invited to participate in the 3rd Annual Design of Medical Devices Conference International Student Design Showcase. The purpose of the Showcase is to promote and publicize excellence in medical device design by teams of undergraduate and graduate students conducted as part of their course work. Outstanding student designs will be selected for presentation at the showcase held during the Design of Medical Devices Conference in Minneapolis, April 13-16, 2015.
View the 2014 International Student Design Showcase participants
View the 2013 International Student Design Showcase participants
2015 Showcase Submission Instructions
- Student design teams: undergraduate or graduate work (PhD research is not eligible)
- Design work done as part of a regular course
- Design is a medical device
- October 1, 2014: Submissions Tool Open (submit entry as a single PDF file)
- February 1, 2015: Submissions are due no later than at midnight submitters time.
- week of February 16, 2015: Reviews will be completed and author notifications will be made
Author Instructions & Submission Process:
- A document containing concise engineering writing that describes the design. You are free to format the paper in the style you think is best for an engineering reader to understand your design. For readability, margins must be at least one inch all around and body text must be no smaller than 11 point.
- Entry must have:
- Cover page with title (80 character limit), name of each student designer, university, department, course name and course number, and contact information for corresponding authors (email and telephone)
- Three to six page body with three sections:
Section 1- A description of the problem you are trying to solve, including describing current or competing solutions
Section 2- A description of your design
Section 3- An evaluation, including results of testing, that demonstrates your design does or could work to its intended purpose
• All Accepted Papers will be presented in the 2015 International Student Design Showcase
Tuesday, April 14, 5:30pm-7:30pm in the Heritage Gallery, McNamara Alumni Center
• Please be dressed appropriately in business attire
• Set-up time is on Tuesday, April 14 from 4:00pm-5:00pm
• There will be space available to store your posters during the conference. Please see conference staff at the registration desk if you wish to store your poster. *NOTE* pre-shipment of posters is NOT available.
• Professional judges will review entry documents and the presentation by the students at the showcase to determine prize winners.
• Three cash prizes: $500, $300, $200. At least one member of the student design team must be present at the Design Showcase at all times to be considered for a prize.
WINNERS of the International Student Design Showcase will also be invited to present their work during the Scientific Poster Session on Wed., April 15 from 5:30pm-7:00pm, in the DQ Room, TCF Bank Stadium.
NOTE: All authors of accepted papers must register to present: If your paper is accepted, you will receive a complimentary full 3 day registration and including lunches.
Poster Presentation Instructions
• One of the authors must be present at the poster during the entire poster session.
• The allotted tackable poster space is 91” wide x 45” tall.
• Please follow good design principles in preparing your poster. Click here for helpful tips.
• The title should span the top and be in letters that are at least one inch tall.
• Push Pins will be provided.
• There will be space for table-top displays or prototypes next to your poster board.
(there will not be table top space on the night of the Scientific Poster Session)
• There is no guarantee you will have AC power next to your board.
(there will not be AC power on the night of the Scientific Poster Session)
• There will be space available to store your posters during the conference, please see conference staff at the registration desk on the 2nd Floor of The Commons Hotel if you wish to store your poster. *NOTE* pre-shipment of posters is NOT available.
Certificate of Presentation
If you require a Certificate of Presentation, e-mail Trisha Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject heading "Showcase Presentation Certificate Request" AFTER April 21, 2015.
Direct your questions to:
|Dr. William Durfee, Technical Program Chair
University of Minnesota
Matthew Johnson, Contributed Papers Chair
University of Minnesota
Showcase Details & Registration:
Trisha Johnson, Conference Coordinator
University of Minnesota