DMD Conference Overview
Online Registration - Closed
How to Become a Sponsor
New This Year!
Keynotes & Featured Speakers
Call for Papers -Closed
Poster Session Instructions
Int'l Student Showcase -Closed
Valuation Competition -Closed
A Heart to Learn
Job Fair - Cancelled
For Session Organizers
For Invited Speakers
Technical Session Committee
Travel & Accommodations
DMD Related Information:
DMD Europe 2013
Conference Presented by:
Academic Health Center
College of Science and Engineering
Institute for Engineering
Medical Devices Center
Office of University Economic Development
International Student Design Showcase - Closed!
Tuesday, April 8, 5:30-7:30
Heritage Gallery, McNamara Alumni Center
You are invited to participate in the 3rd Annual Design of Medical Devices Conference International Student Design Showcase. The purpose of the Showcase is to promote and publicize excellence in medical device design by teams of undergraduate and graduate students conducted as part of their course work. Outstanding student designs will be selected for presentation at the Showcase held during the Design of Medical Devices Conference in Minneapolis, April 7-10, 2014 (www.dmd.umn.edu). View the 2014 International Student Design Showcase participants.
View the 2013 International Student Design Showcase participants
2014 Showcase Submission Instructions
- Student design teams: undergraduate or graduate work (PhD research is not eligible)
- Design work done as part of a regular course
- Design is a medical device
- Submissions Tool Closed
- Submit entry as a single PDF file.
- Submissions are due no later than February 3, 2014 at midnight submitters time.
- Peer Reviews will be completed and Author notifications will be made the week of February 17, 2014.
- All authurs of accepted papers must register to present: If your paper is accepted, you will receive a complimentary full 3 day registration and including lunches.
- A document containing concise engineering writing that describes the design. You are free to format the paper in the style you think is best for an engineering reader to understand your design. For readability, margins must be at least one inch all around and body text must be no smaller than 11 point.
- Entry must have:
- Cover page with title, names of student designers, university, department, course name and course number, and contact information (email and telephone) for corresponding authors
- Three to six page body with three sections:
Section 1- A description of the problem you are trying to solve, including describing current or competing solutions
Section 2- A description of your design
Section 3- An evaluation, including results of testing, that demonstrates your design does or could work to its intended purpose
• All Accepted Papers will be presented in the 2014 International Student Design Showcase
Tuesday, April 8, 5:30pm-7:30pm in the Heritage Gallery, McNamara Alumni Center
• Please be dressed appropriately in business attire
• Set-up time is on Tuesday, April 8 from 4:00pm-5:00pm
• There will be space available to store your posters during the conference. Please see conference staff at the registration desk if you wish to store your poster. *NOTE* pre-shipment of posters is NOT available.
• Professional judges will review entry documents and the presentation by the students at the showcase to determine prize winners.
• Three cash prizes: $500, $300, $200. At least one member of the student design team must be present at the Design Showcase at all times to be considered for a prize.
WINNERS of the International Student Design Showcase will also be invited to present their work during the Scientific Poster Session on Wed., April 9 from 5:30pm-7:00pm, in the DQ Room, TCF Bank Stadium.
Poster Presentation Instructions
• One of the authors must be present at the poster during the entire poster session.
• The allotted tackable poster space is 91” wide x 45” tall.
• Please follow good design principles in preparing your poster.
• The title should span the top and be in letters that are at least one inch tall.
• Push Pins will be provided.
• There will be space for table-top displays or prototypes next to your poster board.
(there will not be table top space on the night of the Scientific Poster Session)
• There is no guarantee you will have AC power next to your board.
(there will not be AC power on the night of the Scientific Poster Session)
• There will be space available to store your posters during the conference, please see conference staff at the registration desk on the 2nd Floor of The Commons Hotel if you wish to store your poster. *NOTE* pre-shipment of posters is NOT available.
Certificate of Presentation
If you require a Certificate of Presentation, e-mail Trisha Johnson (email@example.com) with the subject heading "Showcase Presentation Certificate Request" AFTER April 15th, 2014.
Direct your questions to:
| Dr. William Durfee, Technical Program Chair
University of Minnesota
Matthew Johnson, Contributed Papers Chair
University of Minnesota
Showcase Details & Registration:
Trisha Johnson, Conference Coordinator
University of Minnesota
Stay connected with DMD through