2019 Student Design Showcase Instructions
Tuesday, April 16, 5:30-7:30pm
University Hall, McNamara Alumni Center
You are invited to participate in the 8th Annual Design of Medical Devices Conference Student Design Showcase. The purpose of the showcase is to promote and publicize excellence in medical device design by teams of undergraduate and graduate students conducted as part of their course work. Outstanding student designs will be selected for presentation at the showcase held during the Design of Medical Devices Conference in Minneapolis, April 15, 16-18, 2019.
- Design was done by an undergraduate or graduate student design team
- Design was done as a project in a regular course
- Design was not a graduate or undergraduate research project or thesis project
- Design is a medical device
Tentative Submission Timeline:
- Submissions Tool CLOSED
- January 30, 2019: Submissions are due no later than midnight submitters' time.
- week of February 11, 2019: Reviews will be completed and author notifications will be made
Author Instructions & Submission Process:
- A document containing concise engineering writing that describes the design.
- You are free to format the paper in the style you think is best for an engineering reader to understand your design. Entry must have:
- Cover page with title (80 character limit), name of each student designer, university, department, course name and course number, and contact information for corresponding authors (email and telephone)
- Two to three pages with three sections:
Section 1- A description of the problem you are trying to solve, including describing current or competing solutions
Section 2- A description of your design, including a rendering that best describes the concept
Section 3- An evaluation, including results of testing, that demonstrates your design does or could work to its intended purpose. As appropriate, include a high-quality image of your prototype
- All content, including figures, charts and reference list must be contained in the three page limit.
- For readability, margins must be at least one inch all around and body text must be no smaller than 11 point.
- Submission document must be a single PDF file.
- A student author should serve as the lead/contact.
The submitted document is confidential and will only be seen by conference reviewers. Public disclosure of your design/content does not occur until the conference showcase event and is limited to whatever you choose to include on your poster.
Showcase Poster Presentation
• All Accepted Papers will be presented in the 2019 Student Design Showcase on
Tuesday, April 16, 5:30pm-7:30pm in University Hall, McNamara Alumni Center
• Set-up time is on Tuesday, April 16 from 4:00pm-5:00pm
• One of the student authors must be present at the poster during the entire poster session.
• Please be dressed appropriately in business attire
• The allotted tackable poster space is 91” wide x 45” tall. Push Pins will be provided.
• There is a limited number of tables for table-top displays or prototypes next to your poster board.
Reserve your table by emailing Trisha Huntosh by March 16, 2019
• There is no guarantee you will have AC power next to your board.
• Please follow good design principles in preparing your poster. Click here for helpful tips.
• Minor changes to presentations are acceptable.
• Please see the conference staff at the registration desk on the 2nd Floor of Graduate Minneapolis if you wish to store your poster during the conference. *NOTE* pre-shipment of posters is NOT available.
• Professional judges will review entry documents and the presentation by the students at the showcase to determine prize winners.
• Three cash prizes: $500, $300, $200. At least one member of the student design team must be present at the Design Showcase at all times to be considered for a prize.
Each student author attending the conference will receive 1- complimentary full 3 day registration, including all 3 lunches. All presenters of accepted papers are required to register for the conference by March 27, 2019. The lead author will receive instructions for how to complete their registration via email after reviews are complete.
Certificate of Presentation
If you require a Certificate of Presentation, e-mail Trisha Huntosh (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject heading "Showcase Presentation Certificate Request" AFTER April 21, 2019.
Direct your questions to:
|Dr. William Durfee, Showcase Chair
University of Minnesota
Trisha Huntosh, Conference Coordinator
University of Minnesota